By: Grace Gufler
Depression can be a suffocating, terrifying, and lonely experience. Depressive symptoms affect every aspect of our daily life and it can feel as if you are no longer in control of your life. In this blog post, you will learn just how much untreated depression can impact you and some ways in which therapy can help you cope with depression.
Untreated Depression Can Lead To:
- Strained relationships due to social withdrawal and lack of energy.
- Poor work performance due to low motivation and feelings of worthlessness.
- Isolation and lowered self-esteem as symptoms prevent you from enjoying life or accomplishing simple daily life tasks.
- Suicidal thoughts such as ‘it would be easier if I weren’t here’.
- Harmful behaviors like binge eating, missing work often or neglecting hygiene (brushing teeth).
How Therapy Can Help You:
- Find meaning and purpose in relationships, work, family, hobbies, and all other areas of life.
- Help you cope with symptoms without having to avoid triggers.
- Take back control of your life and feel like yourself again.
- Be an active member in your life and genuinely enjoy your day without just going through the motions.
- Have an active social life without feeling drained.
- Learn to live a healthy and balanced life suited to your lifestyle, values, and personality.
If this resonates with you, please reach out to one of our therapists to schedule an in-person or virtual therapy session. Life with depression does not have to be overwhelming, isolating, and all-consuming. Help is here for you; you just have to reach out.